Wednesday, October 29, 2014

It's Wednesday... 10/29/14

October 29, 2014


Just a couple of single issues on my radar this week, starting off with Rasputin #1 by Alex Grecian and Riley Rossmo with colors by Ivan Plascencia (Image). I’m onboard for any work by Rossmo, plus, after reading Petrograd a few years ago, I can’t deny a affinity for anything related to the Mad Monk.


Of course, Matt Kindt’s Mind MGMT #27 (Dark Horse) is a must-buy. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: if you’re not reading Mind MGMT, you’re missing one of the best titles out there. 


I picked up the first issue of C.O.W.L. a few months back and enjoyed it enough to put it on my “Pick up the trade” list. The tale of the first superhero labor union is told in C.O.W.L. Vol. 1: Principles of Power (Image), story by Kyle Higgins & Alec Siegel, art by Rod Reis. (Collects C.O.W.L. #1-5)


I won’t be getting this one today, but I’d love to take a look at Basil Wolverton’s Weird Worlds Artist’s Edition from IDW. Wolverton (no relation, at least as far as I know) produced some really wild stuff, so if you’ve never experienced his work, this might not be the place to start, and certainly not the cheapest. (A couple of good places to start might be with the more affordable Spacehawk or the upcoming volume Creeping Death from Neptune: The Life and Comics of Basil Wolverton Vol. 1, both from Fantagraphics




This one’s been out for a week, but you should certainly consider it: Lynda Barry’s new non-fiction work Syllabus: Notes from an Accidental Professor, reviewed by me recently at The Comics Alternative


That’s it for me. How about you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment