Wednesday, October 15, 2014

It's Wednesday... 10/15/14


This is my story and I’m sticking to it: I’m saving up for the December release of Jack Kirby Mister Miracle Artist’s Edition (IDW), which is going to be a wallet-breaker, so I’m really limiting myself at the comics shop for awhile. I’m really not that interested in any single issues this week, but I hope to eventually pick up one new trade and possibly two reissues:


As far as new releases, hands-down it’s Rai Vol. 1: Welcome to New Japan by Matt Kindt and Clayton Crain (Valiant). A few months back I bought the first issue of Rai and was just blown away. Kindt is one of my favorite creators, so I’d probably buy anything he writes, even if he decided to write a history of laundry detergent. (Really, Matt, don’t feel obligated to write that, but if you do...)  


Although I’ve perused it several times, I’ve never completely read Fred Van Lente and Ryan Dunlavey’s Action Philosophers. This new 10th anniversary edition looks like the way to go, with 20 pages of bonus material, covers, pin-ups, photos and script excerpts from the theatre production and a new 8-page story. Plus a new introduction by Hegel! (Just kidding about that last part...) 


And apparently Will Eisner’s Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative (originally published in 1996 by W. W. Norton & Company) is getting a reissue this week. This, along with Eisner’s other instructional books (Comics and Sequential Art, Expressive Anatomy for Comics and Narrative), are part of my constantly growing must-read pile. 


That’s going to do it for me. Be sure to tell me what you plan to pick up today.

No comments:

Post a Comment