Wednesday, September 24, 2014

It's Wednesday... 9/24/14

September 24, 2014

Lots of temptations this week, so I’m only listing a few...


Roche Limit #1 - Michael Moreci, Vic Malhotra (Image)
Man, all you have to tell me is crime noir, science fiction and Image. I’m in. Lots of folks have been waiting for this one for months, including me. 


Mind MGMT #26 - Matt Kindt (Dark Horse)

If you haven’t read Mind MGMT yet, I’m telling ya, get the first collected edition and dive in. Have I ever steered you wrong? Well??? Trust me. Read Mind MGMT


Star Trek: City on the Edge of Forever #4 - Harlan Ellison, Scott Tipton, David Tipton (IDW)

The penultimate issue of Harlan Ellison’s original teleplay adaptation arrives today. This project has been a wonderful experience. I’ve been buying all the single issues with the Juan Ortiz covers, which are absolutely stunning. Don’t wait for the trade. 


American Comic Book Chronicles: The 1970s - Jason Sacks, Keith Dallas (TwoMorrows) 

The folks at TwoMorrows have done a bang-up job of collecting an informative and entertaining archive of American comic book history so far, and I’m sure this edition is no exception. This is actually the volume I’ve been looking forward to the most, since I spent a large part of the 70s reading comics. If you’re interested in comics history, these volumes are a must-own.


Fatale Vol. 5: Curse the Demon - Ed Brubaker, Sean Phillips (Image)

I’m sad to say that this is the final collection of Fatale, but happy to say that Brubaker and Phillips have delivered a series that’s nothing short of stellar. If you’ve never read their collaborations, Fatale is a great title to start with.  


The Incal - Alexandro Jodorowsky, Moebius (Humanoids - new third printing)

Okay, let’s get this out of the way... If you haven’t read The Incal, you really shouldn’t call yourself a comics fan. The books from Humanoids are expensive, and I’ll confess, this is the only one I own, but it’s worth every cent of the $44.95 list price. Get it now. The Incal has gone out of print before and who knows if it’ll be reissued? Don’t risk it - pick it up.    


Batman: Gordon of Gotham - Chuck Dixon, Dennis O’Neil, Klaus Janson, Jim Aparo, Bill Sienkiewicz, Dick Giordano (DC) 

Aaaaaand... I’m not sure I’m going to get this one. This volume collects Gordon of Gotham #1-4, Batman: GCPD #1-4, and Batman: Gordon’s Law #1-4. Sort of looks like it might be a money-grab on the part of DC to cash in on the new TV series Gotham. If they’d been smart, DC would’ve collected Gotham Central into a nice omnibus edition, which I would gladly purchase. Don’t know why they didn’t... So for me, the jury’s out on Gordon of Gotham. (If you pick it up, or if you’ve read the individual issues, let me know what you think.)


That’s going to do it for me. Be sure to tell me what you plan to pick up today.

No comments:

Post a Comment