Wednesday, September 10, 2014

It's Wednesday... 9/10/14

With the Small Press Expo coming up this weekend, I’m going to force myself to stay out of the comics shop today... But if I were to somehow, I don’t know, accidentally find myself in the vicinity of Third Eye Comics today.... (Hey, I just remembered I do have a meeting in Annapolis this afternoon....)

Anyway, I hope to pick up these comics at some point:

 

Copperhead #1 by Jay Faerber, Scott Godlewski and Ron Riley (Image), which sounds like a Western on a distant planet - my kind of thing. Check out the Third Eye Comics variant as well. 


And speaking of Copperhead, creators Faerber and Godlewski will be at Third Eye on Saturday, September 20. More info here.


Then there’s Annihilator #1 (of 6) from Grant Morrison and Frazer Irving (Legendary Comics), about a nearly-washed up screenwriter joining up with one of his created characters to save the universe. It’s Morrison; you buy it. 


I’m so glad to see the return of Stumptown, now starting its third volume. Greg Rucka is always worth your time and if you haven’t read the first two volumes of Stumptown, do yourself a favor. Art by Justin Greenwood from Oni Press. 


It’s a tough call... Pick up Velvet #7 or buy the trade when it comes out? I’ll probably do both. This espionage tale from Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting (Image) is right on target. (No pun intended, but probably accurate.) Brubaker's work is always great and Epting's art is just killer. 


I don’t know if I’ll pick it up, but I’m mildly interested in Teen Dog #1 by Jake Lawrence (Boom! Studios). Previews calls it “John Hughes meets 90s Nickelodeon cartoons,” so it might be worth a look. 


First Second has really been knocking it out of the park lately and it looks like Above the Dreamless Dead: World War I in Poetry and Comics - edited by Chris Duffy - is no exception. The two guys with PhDs recently spoke with Duffy about the book, so check that out


Be sure to tell me what's on your radar today.

No comments:

Post a Comment