Friday, December 20, 2013

Best Graphic Novels of 2013 Part 1 of 3

Best Graphic Novels of 2013 Part 1 of 3

I’m going to have to do this in three installments, otherwise it’s going to be a very long blog post! Later, I’ll go into my Top 10 graphic novels published before 2013, then those published in 2013. But for now, I’d like to do two things: 

1) List the graphic novel titles that I continued reading in 2013 that started before 2013, such titles as:

Daredevil - Mark Waid, Chris Samnee

Fatale - Ed Brubaker, Sean Phillips

Manhattan Projects - Jonathan Hickman, Nick Pitarra

Peter Panzerfaust - Kurtis J. Wiebe, Tyler Jenkins 

The Steve Ditko Archives - Blake Bell, ed.

Sweet Tooth - Jeff Lemire



2) Books that may or may not be graphic novels as such, but are related to them in some way:


American Comic Book Chronicles, 1960-1964 (2012) John Wells

A painstaking look at all comics published in America during the years 1960-1964. Dense and filled with important facts and events; if you're interested in comics history, these volumes are a must-read. 


The Art of Joe Kubert (2011) Bill Schelly, ed.

One of my goals in 2013 was to learn more about artist Joe Kubert, who sadly passed away last year. This collection is a great introduction to the man and his work. 


Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to the Comic Book Universe (2013) Tim Leong

The nerdiest book I read this year, and just maybe the most fun! 



Superman: The High-Flying History of the Man of Steel (2012) Larry Tye

Tye's history covers Superman's beginnings, his ventures into radio, television, movies and more. Highly recommended, even if you're only a casual Superman fan. 



Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art (1993) Scott McCloud

I'm embarrassed it took me so long to read this one, but I'll never look at comics the same way again. If you haven't read it, move this to the top of your list immediately. 

Next post: The best graphic novels I read this year that weren't published in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment