Sunday, October 13, 2013

Upcoming Artist's Editions from IDW

If you're a fan of Watchmen or of Jack Kirby, here's cause for celebration: artist's editions of Watchmen and Kirby's New Gods will be forthcoming from IDW in 2014.  


I enjoyed Watchmen, but have no interest in picking this one up. The Kirby, however, is another story. It's long been said by many in the comics field that we would never see a Kirby artist's edition, since most of his original artwork was bought years ago and would be next to impossible to collect for such a project. Yet this New Gods edition will collect reproductions of Kirby's original artwork on issues # 2, 5, 6, 7, and 8. 

While New Gods is not my favorite Kirby work, I'm tempted to pick this one up (or put it on my birthday wish list. In case you haven't priced them, the artist's editions aren't cheap.). This may be the only shot Kirby fans will ever get for an artist's edition. 





Yet the biggest temptation for me is the announcement of two Steranko artist's editions featuring Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. with and without Captain America. Most artist's editions are 12 x 17", but the S.H.I.E.L.D. edition will be a whopping 15 x 22" monster! I'd better start saving now....


No comments:

Post a Comment