Friday, January 11, 2013

Adopt a Character or Creator in 2013

Chris Marshall over at the Collected Comics Library has a great idea for the new year: adopt a comic book character or creator in 2013 and explore their universe. This year, Chris is taking a journey through the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby years of the Fantastic Four, which I hope will be a wonderful experience for him. (It certainly was - and is - for me.)


My main comics plan for 2013 is to explore the work and life of artist Joe Kubert. I never read many DC comics as a kid, and although Kubert didn't work only for DC, much of his work can be found there. Kubert passed away last year, leaving an enormous legacy of great work, only part of which I experienced in a DC Archives edition of The Enemy Ace, which knocked me out.  


I plan to start with The Art of Joe Kubert, followed by Man of Rock: A Biography of Joe Kubert and the new Weird Horrors & Daring Adventures: The Joe Kubert Archives Vol. 1, all three of which are authored/edited by Bill Schelly and published by Fantagraphics Books

I also plan to spend some time with more comic strip reprints in 2013. I had a great time with IDW's first volume of The Complete Terry and the Pirates and hope to explore IDW's Steve Canyon. Right now I'm in the middle of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century: The Complete Newspaper Dallies: Volume One 1929-1931 and am loving it. 

So.... Let me know your comics plans for 2013.....

No comments:

Post a Comment